Bedford School has a long established reputation for excellence in music.
Our stunning Music School is home to one of the largest Music Departments in the country. A high proportion of our students learn to play several instruments.
The immense variety of musical activity at Bedford School could not happen without our Music Scholars. Not only do they provide the backbone for our many ensembles, they set the tone for music within the school. Music Scholars set high standards of dedicated practice and personal achievement and act as ambassadors for music in the school.
Entry at 13+ (Year 9) and 16+ (Year 12)
- Both internal (13+ only) and external candidates wishing to be considered for a Music Scholarship must submit an application form to the Admissions Office by the 1 December in the year prior to intended entry.
- As part of the application process we require supporting references from the Director of Music at a boys’ current school as well as any individual music teachers. These must be returned with the application form.
- Candidates need to offer at least two instruments. For the main instrument a minimum standard of grade 6 at 13+ and grade 8 at 16+ will normally be required.
- Overall musicianship and potential is assessed in addition to current performing standard.
- A good voice or choral experience will also be taken into consideration.
- Candidates will be required to perform two contrasting pieces on their first instrument and one piece on any other instrument and/or voice.
- There will be tests on scales/arpeggios, sight-reading and aural awareness.
- There will be no written tests, but candidates are welcome to bring a composition if they wish this to be considered.
Successful candidates receive free instrumental tuition on two instruments in addition to the possibility of fee remission.