Bedford School has a thriving Art Department where individual creativity is seen to be a core and vital part of education that encourages all students to engage with and relate to the world around them.
The Art scholarship will look to foster, encourage and inspire the individual creative and artistic talents of successful candidates. We are looking for boys who are passionate about art and are eager to make the most of all the extra-curricular opportunities available to them.
The Art School, located in a characterful mid 1750s Georgian building, has 3 specialist studios for painting, printmaking and sculpture so students work within the broad boundaries of Fine Art. Video and digital opportunities are also available and encouraged. All three art staff are practising artists, which is integral to our ethos.
Accessibility to the department by all students in their own time is actively encouraged and we would expect scholars to make as much use of the studios as possible to pursue their particular interests and develop their skills both within and outside the taught curriculum.
Entry at 13+ (Year 9) and 16+ (Year 12)
- Both internal (13+ only) and external candidates wishing to be considered for an Art scholarship must submit an application form to the Admissions Office by the 1 December in the year prior to intended entry.
- In addition, both a digital portfolio of evidence and one sketchbook should be submitted to Admissions by 1 December.
- Boys whose portfolios reach the required standard for consideration for an Art scholarship will be invited to attend the Art scholarship assessment.
- For the assessment, candidates will be required to produce a test piece in the studios at Bedford School. The test will require candidates to produce a drawing on paper based on the observation of a chosen subject – very often a themed still life.
- Candidates will also have an interview with the Director of Art. The interview will offer candidates an opportunity to discuss their work, developing interests and any artists or designers that they admire or recent exhibitions they have visited.
- Candidates will also be expected to bring their portfolios with them on the day of their interview.