Not only do we expect scholars to achieve good results for themselves but to contribute to the school community as a whole.
Scholars are encouraged to participate in extra-curricular academic societies and we expect them to set an example to others in terms of work ethic. We ask them, where appropriate, to share their abilities in a programme of peer-group teaching (shown by educational research to be a key extra factor in bringing out the best in students). Ultimately, we expect scholars at Bedford School to be proud of what they are and to take pride in what they can offer.
Entry at 13+ (Year 9)
- All external boys, along with boys in Year 8 at Bedford Preparatory School, are required to sit the Bedford School Aptitude Test (BSAT). Boys who perform particularly well on the BSAT will be invited back for further academic scholarship testing and an interview prior to us selecting award recipients.
- A confidential reference request will also be made to their current school in the case of external applicants. For boys at Bedford Prep School, feedback will be sought from the Prep School Headmaster.
- Families are welcome to apply for a 13+ Academic Scholarship and if they wish to do so should submit an application form to the Admissions Office by the 1 December in the year prior to entry, however, we will consider all boys for this award (both internal and external), regardless of whether or not they have formally applied.
Entry at 16+ (Year 12)
- External candidates wishing to be considered for an Academic Scholarship must submit an application form to the Admissions Office by the 1 December in the year prior to intended entry.
- Applicants will undergo two assessment papers in subjects of their choice as well as undertaking a Verbal Reasoning test. They will also attend a formal interview with the Head Master or another senior member of staff.
- A confidential reference request will also be made to their current school to include predicted GCSE grades.