Academic excellence is our primary objective at Bedford School.
A-Level and IB Combined Grades
(Higher and standard level)
- 59% of IB and A2 exams were graded at A* to A or equivalent
- 84% of IB and A2 exams were graded at A* to B or equivalent.
- 95% of IB and A2 exams were graded at A* to C or equivalent
The International Baccalaureate (IB) Programme is a globally recognised pre-university course designed for students aged 16 -19. Bedford School has recorded outstanding results in each of the years in which it has presented candidates for the IB Diploma examinations.
We believe that the IB gives our boys an edge as they seek places on particularly competitive university courses in the UK and elsewhere, and that it is also an asset to those who recognise that their future career may include an international dimension. It allows specialisation in a specific area, for example, science, humanities or languages, while also offering breadth. The core components of Theory of Knowledge and Extended Essay develop critical thinking and writing and promote qualities of independence and curiosity which are essential for higher education, and the CAS programme takes boys out of the school to help others in the community.
2017 IB Results (Higher Level)
- Two boys achieved the highest possible mark (45 points), which places them in the top 0.13% of candidates worldwide.
- 37.4 points was the average score per candidate.
- 72% of IB grades were at 7/6, the equivalent to A*/A at A-Level.
- 90% of IB grades were at 7/6/5, the equivalent of A*, A or B at A-Level.
- 100% IB Diploma pass rate.
The Advanced Level course at Bedford is a strong option for boys wishing to follow the traditional pattern of subjects and for many it is the natural choice. It is often attractive to those who wish to specialise after GCSE. Students also enjoy a Skills Programme to prepare them for university life, which is complemented by a full lecture programme with major speakers from outside the school. A wide range of sporting and service opportunities are also offered.
2017 A-Level Results
- 54% of entries resulted in passes at grades A* to A.
- 82% of entries resulted in passes at top grades A* to B
The two-year GCSE course provides a strong foundation for boys moving on to A-Level or the IB Diploma. Boys study a core of English, Maths, a Modern Language and all three Sciences as well as a broad range of other subjects to provide them with a secure and challenging academic foundation.
2017 GCSE Results
- 60% of entries resulted in top grades A* or A.
- 83% of entries resulted in pass grades A* to B
- 96% of entries resulted in pass grades A* to C
Please note that all the marks shown are prior to examination remarks.