What is strange about this statue of Sir William Harpur on the old Grammar School building on St Pauls Square, Bedford? Sir William founded what became Bedford School in 1552 since Henry VIII was demolishing the monastery schools. His statue erected in 1768, wearing Georgian clothes – should have been dressed in Tudor garb!
On retirement, David Fowler (47-56) became a member of the Bedford Association of Tour Guides and has thoroughly enjoyed the last 12 years enthusing about the Towns history. The Tour Guides are now looking for ten new recruits to assist with the provision of both walking and coach Guided Tour services. A 16-week training course will be provided.