Hockey at Bedford School got off to a flying start after a thrilling fixture against Magdalen College at the weekend. With 10 of the 13 matches unbeaten, the boys are on great form and mentally strong for the season ahead.

All of the school’s senior teams won their games, including a 4-2 win for the 1st XI, which saw Tom Chambers score a hat-trick of outstanding goals and a first goal in the Bedford strip for Julian Schranner. You can read the captain’s report below.

Well done to all the boys who played, in particular the U14 teams. For many it was their first 11-aside game and, for a few, their first ever game of hockey!

Bedford School versus Magdalen College 11 January 2020
Report by Dan Smith, Captain of the 1st XI

The first week of the season was a busy one for the 1st XI, with a Saturday fixture at home against Magdalen College School, Oxford, followed by our first England Hockey Cup match away at Watford Grammar School on the Tuesday. MCS arrived as a well drilled unit, putting us under the cosh for the opening 10 minutes. We conceded a soft, early goal, but buoyed by the large home crowd and choosing to change our press, we dominated the rest of the second half. A superb dink over the keeper from Tom Chambers levelled the score, before Julian Schranner also tapped in to put us ahead going into half time. We started the second half strongly too, with Tom finishing two more quality team goals to put us 4-1 up. The pace of the game slowed as MCS started to get more of a foothold again, with Bryn Williamson making some important saves in goal. Despite this, MCS did get a goal back, leading to a slightly nervy last 10 minutes. Good work rate from all the boys ensured we held our lead though, so we opened the season with a 4-2 win.

In stormy conditions at Watford, the team got off to a flying start, playing some excellent team hockey. Within five minutes, Tom Chambers had put us ahead, slotting in a rebound off a penalty corner. Despite dominating the rest of the half, we squandered a few chances meaning we only went in 1-0 up. Another quick start saw Tom O’Toole score a short corner, giving his a two goal cushion. Again we lacked a bit of quality in the final third, which allowed Watford back into the game. They played some nice hockey, scoring with around 10 minutes to go. This again led to a nervy finish, but strong game management allowed us to see the game out, returning home with a 2-1 victory.

Back to all news