After the School Rugby Club were treated to some exceptional rugby on Friday in the Champions Trophy final, normal service resumed the following day. 

The U14 teams travelled to Rugby, and the U14A team were under a little pressure to put a performance together after a disappointing loss to NSB the previous week.  They answered any critics by producing their best performance of the season so far.  Clinical passing and high tempo was the order of the day and Steven Simmons proved deadly in a bit of space, scoring four tries.  The U14 B, C and D teams all won in similar fashion, which clearly demonstrates the strength in depth this year group have.  The U14B team were particularly pleased with the expansive game they managed to play, moving the ball into space with confidence to devastating effect.

The U16A team played some stunning rugby at times in their game but had to dig deep to close out a tight game by two points.  No such nail-biting finish to the B and C games as their score lines were slightly more comfortable in Bedford’s favour.  The U16D team travelled to Merchant Taylors to play against their U16Cs.  Despite losing, the boys did themselves proud as they pushed their more physical opposition all the way to the end of the game.

The honours were even in the U15s with a win, a loss and a draw.  The U15A team put on fantastic team performance to beat a strong Stowe team.  The U15B team lost by the same points difference as they struggled to contain a couple of boys with real pace in the opposition.  The U15C team ground out a draw, which was probably a genuine reflection on the even nature of the match.

The senior teams had a tough task at Stowe, made harder by the fact that getting stuck in a traffic jam on the way up meant they only had a very short time to warm up.  The 2nd XV were still clearly on the bus as they leaked three very quick tries.  However, they soon got into their groove and played some superb expansive rugby to score three tries of their own and were genuinely on top of the game for 60 minutes.  As the boys were pushing to break the line once more, a sloppy turnover led to an opposition try that killed off the game.  While the 4th and 5th XVs lost their games, the 3rd XV won in convincing style and the Willcocks – Iles half back pairing ran the show beautifully from the first whistle.

View Match Scores  |  PDF

Back to all news