The school welcomes all faiths.
Its foundation is nevertheless rooted in the Christian tradition and the Chapel has an important part in the life of the school community, symbolising Bedfordians past and present and providing a daily reminder of life’s spiritual dimension.
The Chapel plays an important part in the life of the school community. For boarders, there is a regular pattern of Church of England services on Sundays during term time (except at exeat weekends), to which all members of the school community are welcome. Services are choral, and there is a full Chapel Choir, with boys singing Treble, Alto, Tenor and Bass voices. Boarders also attend a congregational singing practice on Fridays at 8.35am.
School Chapel Assembly for all pupils takes place every Wednesday, as advertised in the Calendar. This is a very brief assembly, comprising a hymn, reading, short talk, and prayer. Boys who so wish, boarders and day boys alike, are given the opportunity to be prepared and presented for Confirmation each year.
Our Chaplain, Revd. Shaun Atkins, is available throughout the school term and during much of the holidays. He provides pastoral counselling and support to any member of the school community who seeks it.
Shaun is an ordained priest in the Church of England. He served in parish ministry for twenty-seven years in a variety of churches in suburban Hertfordshire, inner London, and Oxford before coming to Bedford School in 2009. Shaun is married to Anne, and they have four adult children and one in secondary education.
Autumn Term 2017 Core Dates
- New Boys’ Service, Tuesday 5 September at 2.45pm
- Morning Prayer, Sunday 10 September at 10.00am
- Evening Prayer, Friday 15 September at 6.15pm
- Holy Communion, Sunday 1 October at 10.00am
- Founders & Benefactors, Sunday 8 October at 11.00am
- Choral Evensong, Sunday 5 November at 6.15pm
- Remembrance Service, Sunday 12 November at 10.30am
- Evening Prayer, Sunday 19 November at 6.15pm
- Holy Communion, Sunday 3 December at 10.00am
- Day Boys’ Carol Service, Friday 8 December at 6.30pm
- Boarders’ Carol Service, Sunday 10 December at 6.30pm
- Y3/Y4 Carol Service, Monday 11 December at 4.45pm
- Y5/Y6 Carol Service, Tuesday 12 December at 4.45pm
- Y7/Y8 Carol Service, Wednesday 13 December at 4.45pm
Chapel Choir Music List
Messages and Enquiries
Direct line and Voicemail: +44 (0)1234 362239