The school welcomes all faiths.
Its foundation is nevertheless rooted in the Christian tradition and the Chapel has an important part in the life of the school community, symbolising Bedfordians past and present and providing a daily reminder of life’s spiritual dimension.
The Chapel plays an important part in the life of the school community. For boarders, there is a regular pattern of Church of England services on Sundays during term time (except at exeat weekends), to which all members of the school community are welcome. Services are choral, and there is a full Chapel Choir, with boys singing Treble, Alto, Tenor and Bass voices. Boarders also attend a congregational singing practice on Fridays at 8.35am.
School Chapel Assembly for all pupils takes place at 1.55pm every Wednesday, as advertised in the Calendar. This is a very brief assembly, comprising a hymn, reading, short talk, and prayer. Boys who so wish, boarders and day boys alike, are given the opportunity to be prepared and presented for Confirmation each year.
Our Chaplain, Revd. Shaun Atkins, is available throughout the school term and during much of the holidays. He provides pastoral counselling and support with complete confidentiality to any member of the school community.
Shaun is an ordained priest in the Church of England. He served in parish ministry for twenty-seven years in a variety of churches in suburban Hertfordshire, inner London, and Oxford before coming to Bedford School in 2009. Shaun is married to Anne, and they have four adult children and one in secondary education.
Summer Term 2017 Core Dates
- Friday 21 April, 6.15pm Evening Prayer
- Sunday 7 May, 10am Morning Prayer
- Sunday 14 May, 6.15pm Choral Evensong
- Sunday 21 May, 11am Confirmation with Holy Communication
- Sunday 11 June, 10am Morning Prayer
- Sunday 18 June, 6.15pm Evening Prayer
- Sunday 25 June, 11am Holy Communion
- Sunday 25 June, 5.30pm Joint Chapel Choir Evensong at St Paul’s Church, Bedford
- Sunday 1 July, 9.30am Leavers’ and Old Bedfordian Service
Messages and Enquiries
Direct line and Voicemail: +44 (0)1234 362239