On a snowy Friday morning in March the decision was made to go ahead and travel to Gatwick for the flight to Jersey for the 38th Y6 sports tour. Despite the weather, the journey to the airport was trouble free, and the flight was on time. The party touched down in Jersey at 1330 and proceeded to the hotel to check in and prepare for the hockey festival that afternoon.

Three mixed teams played a round robin which included teams from Victoria College (U12s!) and Victoria College Prep (U11s). It was cold but the boys all made a super effort, and we were rewarded with some very entertaining hockey. The Victoria College U12s won the festival, while with Bedford team 1 scored the most points for us. Congratulation must go to all the boys but special mention to Yaw Amankona who played in goal for the first time and put on a great display! The evening was spent swimming and enjoying pizza.

Saturday brought sunshine to the island and a smile to the faces of the boys who were about to play rugby. The A team were dominant in their match v Victoria College Prep playing some powerful as well as skilful rugby and produced a solid victory in this match. The B team had a closely fought encounter with their opponents from Victoria College Prep and enjoyed a 4-2 win in a hard-fought match very well refereed by Mr Loader. All boys played well.

(Click on a photo to open the gallery)

The entertaining afternoon involved stints on zip wires, high ropes and a powerfan, which certainly put a lot of boys outside their comfort zone, as well as time at the amusement arcade and, believe it or not, playing on the beach. In the evening the boys and staff enjoyed time playing ten pin bowling, eating and celebrating the birthdays of Oscar Jewers and Mrs Travis.

On Sunday the weather continued to bless us as we played football against Victoria College Prep. The A team had a closely contested match in which the football skills shown were pleasing. Their teamwork led to a 3-2 victory so well done to the boys. The B team had their work cut out and, despite putting everything into their match, came away losing 1-6. However, all the boys enjoyed playing.

The flight back to Gatwick and the journey home to Bedford were faultless with the tired party arriving on Burnaby Road at 1730 – 30 minutes ahead of schedule.

Well done to all the boys who went. You were a credit to the school and learned a lot both on and off the sports field. Many thanks too to Mr Loader & Mrs Travis who gave their time to accompany the group over the weekend. The last thank you goes to the six Mums who supported the boys in all their matches.

Shawn Phillips
Director of Sport

Back to all news