Bedford School Chapel was completed in 1908 and is a Grade B listed building. It is significant as the last architectural accomplishment of George Frederick Bodley, a prominent Victorian architect who worked in the Gothic Revival style. Other notable buildings by Bodley include the chapels of Marlborough College and Queens’ College, Cambridge.
In 2005, due to the generosity of OBs, parents, friends of the School and the support of the Bedford School Foundation, various refurbishment projects took place within the chapel. Most significantly, the ceiling was restored to its former Bodlian watercolour design, the original having been painted over in the 1960s due to deterioration. At the same time, the interior walls were redecorated and the stonework cleaned.
The chapel is home to Bedford School’s Chapel Choir and houses a fine two-manual Hill, Norman & Beard organ. The specification of this instrument can be found in the National Pipe Organ Register.
Restoration was completed by Howell & Bellion, Church Interior Decorators, Saffron Walden Essex.