OB Club Monte Cassino Historical Tour
After a very successful trip to Berlin last year, we are planning a trip to Monte Cassino from Thursday 26th to Sunday 29th April 2018. It may seem slightly odd going to Monte Cassino, in year of the 100th Anniversary of the end of the First World War, but from the advice we have received, we hear prices and crowds will increase on the Western Front, so we have decided to wait to visit this area again in Spring 2019. We anticipate that, after the coverage of the 2018 memorial events and the historical programmes that are bound to appear on television, many people will be interested in this tour. In the meantime, we hope that you will join us in Italy in April 2018 for what promises to be a fascinating trip.
We would like to draw your attention to the fact that you can add on days to the trip at either end if you want to spend more time exploring this attractive part of Italy. As in previous years, the trip promises to be most enjoyable with a good mixture of sightseeing, history and socialising. In the past, we have found that this is a great way to bring together all ages.
We aim to take a party of thirty. The cost will be £570 per person (plus merchant's fees when booking online). There is a single supplement of £60.
This price includes:
- Return flights (Stansted to Naples) including all taxes
- Three nights hotel accommodation
- Lunch and dinner on day 1.
- Breakfast on day 2.
- Breakfast, packed lunch and restaurant dinner on day 3.
- Breakfast, lunch on day 4.
- The use of a coach to cover transfers in Italy
- All entrance fees associated with your visit.
- An expert guide
- Travel insurance for those aged under 70
To give you a flavour for the trip, our provisional itinerary is as follows:
Day 1: Thu 26 Apr - Travel to Cassino
- Meet your Guide
- Monte Trocchio: Orientation of the Cassino Battlefield
- 36th Texas Divisions on the Garigliano: 1st Battle of Cassino
- Presentation: Background to the invasion of Italy
Day 2: Fri 27 Apr - Battles in the Valley
- 34th Bull’s Head Division: 1st Battle of Cassino (continued)
- Caira German Cemetery: The German perspective
- Attack on the Railway Station by 28th Maori Battalion: 2nd Battle of Cassino
- Cassino Town: New Zealanders and the German defenders during the 3rd Battle of Cassino
- The Botanic Gardens: 2nd Royal Fusiliers in defence between the 3rd and 4th Battles
Day 3: Sat 28 Apr - Battles in the Mountain
- Castle Hill: 2nd Battle of Cassino
- The Polish Cemetery: The bombing of the monastery
- Cassino Monastery Visit (included)
- Pt 593 - Polish Memorial: The German perspective
- Albaneta Farm: The armoured attack by C Squadron, 20th New Zealand Armoured Battalion
- Polish Tank Memorial: The attack by Polish Corps, 4th Battle
- Amazon Bridge: Crossing the River Rapido/Gari by 4th Infantry Division
Day 4: Sun 29 Apr - Commemoration and return travel
- Cassino War Cemetery and Memorial: Casualties during the battles of Cassino. Act of Commemoration
You can book as an individual, couple or small group, with fellow family members or friends. We find that they quickly embrace the ways of the OB Club!
For those wishing to arrange their own transport to Cassino, the total cost of the trip will be reduced to reflect this and will, therefore, be £490 per person.
The meeting point for those flying with us will be Stansted airport - we will be checking in at 4am. For those who wish to get to Stansted airport the night before, there are now several hotels in the area and a number of parking packages available.
To avoid disappointment, please ensure you have either paid your deposit of £150 per person or the total cost of the trip by Monday, 15th January. To secure your place either book online below - just select 'Deposit' or both 'Deposit and 'Remaining Balance' if paying in full now. If you are planning to make your own travel arrangements to Cassino, please select ‘Deposit' and 'Arranging own flights‘ or 'Deposit and 'Remaining Balance-No Flights' if paying in full now. Please note that although hand luggage is included in the price, there is an additional fee of £40 (plus online merchant's fees) per item of hold luggage (up to 20kg) - please add this option if required. We will allocate places on a first come first served basis so we advise you to book early to avoid disappointment.
We hope that you may join us for this memorable experience.