1978 Debating and Drama 40 Year Anniversary Reunion
We are delighted to announce that on Friday 20th and Saturday 21st April 2018, there will be a Debating and Drama Reunion to mark the forty year anniversary of the 1978 Union Society's Presidents' Debate. During this period, many of those involved in the Debating Society were also busy taking part in the various Drama productions involving students from the Harpur Trust Schools. We are hoping that many debaters and Drama students will return for this significant event.
The original motion was 'This house believes in and supports the work of Mary Whitehouse'. The debate was hosted by former presidents OB Professor Nicholas O'Shaughnessy (64-72) and Lord Adair Turner of the Oxford and Cambridge Unions. To mark this anniversary, we are delighted to announce that Professor Nicholas O'Shaughnessy (64-72) will be returning, Chris McGinty (74-79) will be Chairing the debate and Tim Skeet (70-77) will be a speaker.
The event will run as follows:
Friday 20th April 2018
- Reunion Tea at 4.15pm in the Memorial Hall
- Anniversary Debate: “This house believes in the unfettered freedom of speech’ at 5.00pm in the Great Hall
- Drinks Reception with students at 6.30pm in the Bell Room
- Foyer with photography exhibition by Graham Pigott
- Reunion Dinner at 7.30pm in the Café Bar - £20 per head
Saturday 21st April 2018
- Tour of the School at 11.00am (meet outside the Memorial Hall)
- Lunch at 1.00pm at a local hostelry! (Individuals to pay)
- Bands concert at 7.30pm in the Great Hall, featuring the Bedford School Band, Brass Ensemble and Dance Band
If you would like to join us, please download, complete and return the booking form - do feel free to share this invitation with fellow Old Bedfordians.