In glorious April sunshine a group of Old Bedfordians, partners and friends enjoyed a wonderful tour of two Cambridge Colleges. The party met at the Anchor overlooking the River Cam and were then hosted on a tour of Queens’ College (founded 1448 by Margaret of Anjou) by its Lay Assistant Chaplain, Old Bedfordian Roger France (45-56). It was a great privilege to visit the Old Hall and the 'new' Chapel (designed by Bodley with some obvious similarities to Bedford School Chapel), as well as to walk over the world famous Mathematical Bridge.
We then moved on to Pembroke College (founded in 1347 by Mary de St Pol) where former Director of Music, Andrew Morris (79-11) gave us a brief history of the College. In the Chapel, designed by Sir Christopher Wren and extended by George Gilbert Scott, the party enjoyed listening to a short recital by one of the College’s organ scholars before moving on for a delicious tea in the Library.
Fully refuelled we then made our way to King’s College (founded in 1441 by Henry VI) for Evensong. We were very fortunate that former member of staff, Michael Keall (57-62) had secured some seats in a prime position. It was wonderful to be so close to the Choir and to be able to enjoy the full magnificence of the setting. It was a particularly interesting to hear about the huge stain glass windows and the Ruben’s painting 'The Adoration of the Magi' which was donated to the College in 1961.
Many thanks to our three hosts for looking after us so well. All the party found the trip very informative and thoroughly enjoyed meeting fellow OBs and other friends of the School.