We run a series of short courses in astronomy at the School Observatory and Planetarium each year, which are open to the public and free of charge.
Each course runs for three evenings and introduces the subject to anyone with an interest to learn more about the night sky. If the weather is clear there is an emphasis on using a range of telescopes for observation. Each course also includes a planetarium show giving details of the night sky visible from Bedford throughout the course of the year.
At the end of each course there is the option to join the Bedford Astronomical Society should you wish to take your interest further.
- Friday 23 February 2018 | Friday 2 March 2018 | Friday 9 March 2018 – FULLY BOOKED*
- Thursday 8 March 2018 | Thursday 15 March 2018 | Thursday 22 March 2018 – FULLY BOOKED*
- Monday 24 September 2018 | Monday 1 October 2018 | Monday 8 October 2018
- Monday 19 November 2018 | Monday 26 November 2018 | Monday 3 December 2018
* Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to join the waiting list for cancellations and new course dates.
The courses are open to adults and students in Year 9 and above, and students in Years 7 and 8 if accompanied by an adult.
Each course is given by members of the Bedford School Observatory staff who all have CRB enhanced clearance and many years of experience of teaching astronomy to members of the public of all ages.
There are no course requirements or fees. All that is needed is an interest to learn about the night sky and plenty of warm clothes to wear on chilly observing evenings.
Each group should meet at the observatory gate on Pemberley Avenue, not the main school entrance, at 6.55pm.
Bookings for each course must be made via email to email@example.com – please ensure that you include your name and which course you are interested in on the email. School students please also state the name of your school. Your information will not be used in any way other than the purpose of contact for these courses.