Bedford School's impressive library provides a superb resource for boys and staff alike.
A place of study, collaboration, development, creativity and knowledge, the Upper School library provides a wide range of resources for the whole school community, both within the library and across the school network.
Our aim is to ensure that the resources are relevant, accessible, appropriate and up-to-date. We work closely with Heads of Department, and new resources are purchased in line with current curriculum needs and in response to subject and individual requests. We also address the needs of the IB extended essay, BSIP, EPQ, coursework and wider reading for university applications.
Reading is encouraged and developed by the subject departments and library staff, and recommended reading lists are available and shared in the library and on the library catalogue. We also have regular initiatives like the Tutor Group Reading Challenge to encourage boys and staff to share extend their reading choices.
Online Resources & Digital Media
The library is a multimedia resource centre providing information across the school network, the virtual learning environment and at home. Our online resources and digital media currently include:
- The EBSCOHost platform with Literary, Science and History databases.
- JSTOR with access to a vast range of academic journals and papers.
- Gale Global Issues, Science in Context and GREENR
- The Philip Allen Magazine Archive covering all the main subjects.
- The Cambridge Companions Online covering Literature and Classics, Philosophy, Religion and Culture, and Music.
- Digital Theatre Plus, provides online access to many recent British theatre productions recorded live, plus the latest news and study guides.
- ClickView digital library has over of 4,000 videos covering a wide variety of subject resources, films, and audio recordings.
- GCSEPod provides extra help with exam revision with GSCE and iGCSE revision podcasts, covering the main subjects from all the exam boards. The Bedford School subscription allows pupils to freely access and download from the website.